5 Feelings | First week of Entrepreneurship
I know what you’re thinking - well actually I don’t - but I’m going to take a guess:
What did this woman possibly learn in a week that's worth reading??
And to be honest - I'm not sure if it IS worth reading, but I'm pretty excited to look back on it. I'm planning on doing a post like this at 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc - so I think it will be pretty cool to see how it evolves!
So here we go! 5 Feelings I had in my first week of entrepreneurship:
1. Flexibility does not equal freedom. Sure - I can workout at 12 and not worry about being sweaty in the office (guys might not understand this, you speedy showerers you) and I can go meet my friends out for a long lunch. ALL GREAT THINGS. But guess what - if I’m not working, I'm only hurting myself. Time is the most precious commodity. That being said, it is SO nice to take Leo on like 5 walks a day!
2. Oh, crap - we’re actually doing this. I’ve thought about running my own business for as long as I can remember. I’ve never been able to picture my dream wedding day (though I'm sure it will involve peonies), but I’ve pictured owning a storefront or studio since I was like 5. So of course I was ready!!! Ha. NO. Last Wednesday I started getting orders and emails and I was like wait okay we’re actually doing this. I got my first order for a print and my reaction was: “Wheeee!! Wait what how do I actually get this thing to them? Do I have it in stock? Do I have cardboard backing? Should I get pink tissue paper??” It sounds silly but it happened.
3. I need to get my cocktail hour spiel down. I went to a wedding over the weekend and was NOT prepared to verbally speak about my new venture. My good friend told her boyfriend that I started my own business and naturally he says “Oh! Doing what?” .. “Uhhh I’m like a graphic designer and I like paint things…” REAL impressive Rach. All I was thinking was “just go to my website, it explains it all there, it’s great, it’s pink” but now I know I need to work on my real life (yes guys, real life not virtual) confidence!
4. Unreal support from friends, family, and even some strangers! Ugh. I could talk about this one forever. You know who you are!! I’m not worthy!! Thank you for all of your kind words. Oh, and my dream client told me they loved their painting - AHH!!
5. Creative BLISS. Grateful. In the past week, I’ve felt more creative energy and happiness than I have in a long time, if ever. My ideas and my heart are constantly buzzing around and nothing is holding me back. I can’t believe we're doing this!
Thank you for following along on this crazy, creative journey!
PS: I’m thinking about making a post on the actual technical things I’ve done to get up and going (getting a business license, opening a business bank account, why I got a CPA, how I plan my week, etc) Would this be something y’all are interested in?